Primary Four students took on an ambitious project that involved all classes visiting the Hong Kong History Museum over a six month period as an extension of their English unit of study, titled Old Hong Kong. In their groups, they planned what aspect of old Hong Kong they wanted to explore, assigned roles including a narrator or emcee, took videos and pictures with an iPad, and brought it altogether using iMovie.
Students were taught to:
- plan their visit with questions and decisions about what video and pictures should be included
- assign key roles of narrator, photographer, writer, reporter, etc. where necessary
- use specific grammar structures and target language which they learned in their unit of study
- develop positive group member skills
- use the basics of iMovie and the camera feature on an iPad
At the end of each video, students were given the opportunity reflect and express how they felt about the trip and what they had gained from the experience.
Thank you to the English Panel Head, Ms Lai and to the Primary Four class teachers for their constant support throughout this unit of study.